Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Season Begins!

Its been a while since I've last posted. I'll promise this year to keep up on the blogging... Yesterday, Tuesday May 6 we had our first TAK session of many. For more information on TAK visit the AWA website. The Kananaskis River was off and the parents wouldn't allow for any school to be missed so I met up with Peter and Brad to paddle the mighty Ghost Dam to Power Plant run on the Bow. We opted for some leadership training. Yes that's right, I've been encouraged to run a new program this year..."training others to put me out of a job in a few years"! It was piloted last year for its inauguration in 2008.

We started the session with throwbag and boat rescue scenarios. As I swam and swam I realized my drysuit had a hole in it; either that or I have one of those new funky kind that have that special wet feel on the inside....but really they are dry!

Seeing as how this was the start of the season the boys were a little slow towing me, the swimmer, into shore. Haget my ugliest child, pictured above to the right, wasted no time telling them to hurry up! Once done the swimming scenarios and the boys had been given feedback from my dogs, we headed down the river where I presented them with an injured paddler scenario. I have to say, I was looked after quite well and they got me off the river safely. Even my dogs would have been proud. I guess Haget's feedback really helped!

No comments: