Position: Alberta Whitewater Association Slalom Head Coach
The Alberta Whitewater Association (AWA) together with the Whitewater Slalom Association of Alberta (WSAA) is hiring a full-time high performance whitewater slalom coach.
General Description: This position would be responsible for providing leadership and skill development to Alberta’s High Performance Slalom athletes. The successful candidate will strive to lead these athletes to a high level of success on both the national and international level.
Salary will be 53,000-57,000 per annum with benefits and retirement savings plan. The start date is April 1, 2007.
· The Head Coach will report to the High Performance Committee.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
· Coordinates program planning, athlete preparation and development for the Alberta Whitewater High Performance Program.
· Produce and implement year-round training plans for Development Program athletes.
· Liaison with Club Coaches and National High Performance Coach for optimal athlete development.
· Mentor and support other slalom coaches in the province.
· Responsible for the administration of the High Performance Program.
Necessary Knowledge, Abilities & Skills
· High level of expertise in the technique of whitewater and slalom paddling.
· Proven leadership skills and the ability to effectively communicate.
· Able to work well both independently and as part of a team.
Necessary Training and Experience:
· NCCP Level 3 or an equivalent certification or a combination of certification and experience (International coaches must demonstrate equivalent certification and join the CAC).
· Significant experience coaching with athletes of all ages in whitewater slalom with a focus on elite athletes.
· Expertise and experience in designing and implementing full time training program for whitewater slalom athletes.
· Coaching experience at World Cups, World Championships or Olympic Summer Games an asset.
· Certification in:
· Standard First Aid Certificate, Level “C” CPR
· River Rescue and Safety Certification.
The successful candidate will be required to pass a criminal record check in the Province of Alberta and become a member of the Coaching Association of Canada.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and job proposal accompanied by three (3) work related references to Gordon Murrie at firstname.lastname@example.org by February 15, 2007, 12:00 p.m. (Mountain Standard Time).
We thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview may be contacted.
This position is made possible with partial financial support from the Alberta Sport, Recreation Parks & Wildlife Foundation, Whitewater Slalom Association of Alberta, Alberta Whitewater Association, and Canoe Kayak Canada